Line

 

21 CHURCH ROW

21

BackUpNext

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

21 Church Row’s notable residents include William Selwyn and John Fulleylove:

William Selwyn QC (1775 – 1855) was the second son of William Selwyn, KC, treasurer of Lincoln’s Inn in 1793. He was educated at Eton College, and St. John's and Trinity Colleges, Cambridge, where he graduated as first chancellor's medallist in classics and senior optime in the Mathematical Tripos. He was admitted to Lincoln's Inn in 1797 and called to the bar in 1807. He became recorder of Portsmouth from 1819 to 1829, took silk in 1827 and in 1840 was chosen to assist Prince Albert in his legal studies. Under the title of Maule and Selwyn's Reports, he and Maule produced six volumes of cases decided by the Court of the King’s Bench.

John Fulleylove RI ROI 1(845 – 1908) was an English landscape artist and illustrator. He exhibited widely in England from 1871 at venues in London such as the Royal Academy, Royal Society of British Artists, Fine Art Society, Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours, Royal Institute of Oil Painters, and in many other regional towns and cities.

print

Engraving dated 1907 based on a painting by John Fullylove.

Census and Land Tax records show the following ownership for the building.

1911               Aitkin
1901               Fullylove
1891               Beckerstith
1881               Matheson
1871               Townsend
1861               Hardisty
1851               Bloxam,Watling
1841               Russell
1831               Hardisty
1830               Hardisty
1826               Hardisty
1817               Selwyn
1811               Nias
1806               Wright
1802               Anderson
1796               Fischer
1791               Fischer
1788               Fischer
1785               Fischer
1780               Fischer

During the ownership of the Hardistry, the house was frequented by John Constable. He gave as a present an annotated version of a book prints “Various Subjects of Landscape” to Rosa Hardistry in 1833.