26 Church Row’s notable residents includeLord Alfred Douglas and George Gilbert Scot.

Lord Alfred Douglas (1870 – 1945) was a British author, poet and translator, better known as “Bosie” the friend and lover of the writer Oscar Wilde. When Wilde was arrested and charged with committing sodomy and gross indecency, Douglas’s 1892 poem Two Loves, which includes the line “the love that dare not speak its name” was used against Wilde. When Wilde was convicted and sentenced to two years hard labour. Douglas was forced into exile in Europe.

Lord Alfred Douglas

George Gilbert Scott, Jr (1839 – 1897) as an English architect working in late Gothic and Queen Anne revival styles. In 1874 he founded Watts and Co. with George Frederick Boldey (24 Church Row) and Thomas Garner (20 Church Row). His building designs include St John the Baptist Cathedral in Norwich; buildings within Christ's, Pembroke and Peterhouse Colleges; Dulwich College South London; Church of All Hallows, Southwark, and St Agnes, Kennington. Much of his work was in the Queen Anne revival style, or Gothic revival. He was an alcoholic, and died of cirrhosis of the liver in a bedroom of St Pancreas' Midland Grand Hotel designed by his father.


Census and Land Tax records show the following ownership for the building.

1911               Lord Alfred Douglas
1901               Lloyd
1891               Scott
1881               Scott
1871               -
1861               Cox
1851               Ardersoif
1841               Ardersoif
1831               Cazenove
1830               Cazenove
1826               -
1817               Watts
1811               Watts
1806               Watts
1802               Watts
1796               Watts
1791               Watts
1788               Bolton
1785               Dillon
1782               Nairne
1780               Nairne